Angiosperm, Dicotyledon, Solanaceae, Solanum, Tomato subgenus
Introduction to tomatoes
Tomato varieties, color, maturity, sweetness, and even the different production seasons are important reasons for determining the lycopene content. Tomatoes of yellow varieties contain very little lycopene, only 0.3 mg per 100 grams; tomatoes of red varieties have a higher content, generally containing 2-3 mg per 100 grams, with a maximum of 20 mg. Generally speaking, the redder the tomato, the higher the lycopene content, and the lower the lycopene content of immature and semi-ripe green tomatoes. There is also a kind of pink tomato on the market, the content of lycopene is not as high as the red one.
The content of lycopene is negatively correlated with the content of soluble sugar in tomatoes, that is to say, the less sweet tomatoes, the higher the content of lycopene.
In addition, the content of lycopene in tomatoes produced in summer is relatively high. This is mainly due to the abundant sunshine and long hours of sunshine in summer, which will greatly increase the content of lycopene; while the content of lycopene in tomatoes grown in greenhouses in winter Relatively low, essential for families.
Edible effects of tomatoes
Research shows that lycopene can effectively prevent prostate cancer, digestive tract cancer, liver cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, bladder cancer, uterine cancer, skin cancer, etc.
2. It can lower blood pressure and lower blood pressure
For patients who often have gum bleeding or subcutaneous bleeding, eating tomatoes can help improve symptoms.
3. Invigorate the stomach and promote digestion
It helps digestion, moisturizes the intestines and relieves bowel movements, and can prevent constipation.
4. Slow down stains and delay aging
Lycopene is not only an important natural food coloring agent in today’s industry, but more importantly, it is a strong antioxidant. Supplement lycopene to resist aging, strengthen the immune system and reduce the occurrence of diseases. Lycopene can also reduce the deterioration of the eye’s macula and reduce pigmentation. Therefore, tomato has the reputation of “longevity fruit”.
5. Prevent thrombosis.
Patients suffering from coronary heart disease and stroke drink tomato juice in moderation every day, which is beneficial to the recovery of the disease.
Contraindications of tomatoes
- It is not suitable to eat on an empty stomach, which can easily cause gastrointestinal distension.
- It is not easy to eat tomato cold during menstruation.
- People with deficiency of the spleen and stomach are not easy to eat too much immature tomatoes contain gasoline, too much food will cause poisoning.
- Patients with acute enteritis, bacillary dysentery and active ulcers are not suitable for consumption.
- It is not suitable to heat for a long time at high temperature, it will lose the original taste and nutrients.
The nutritional value of tomatoes
1. Invigorate the stomach and eliminate food, promote body fluids to quench thirst, moisturize the intestines and relax bowels. Organic acids such as malic acid and citric acid can promote the secretion of gastric juice and the digestion of fat and protein. Increase gastric acid concentration, adjust gastrointestinal function, and help the recovery of gastrointestinal diseases. Containing fruit acid and cellulose, it helps digestion, moisturizes the bowel, and prevents constipation.
2. Clearing away heat and detoxifying, the tomato has a cool taste and is sweet and sour. It has the effects of clearing heat and producing body fluid, nourishing yin and cooling blood. It has a good therapeutic effect on fever, polydipsia, dry mouth, bleeding gums, stomach heat and bitter mouth, and rising deficiency.
3. Lowering lipids and blood pressure, diuresis and sodium excretion. The vitamin C, rutin, lycopene and fruit acid contained in it can lower blood cholesterol and prevent atherosclerosis and coronary heart disease. It also contains a large amount of potassium and alkaline minerals, which can promote the excretion of sodium in the blood, have the effects of lowering blood pressure, diuresis, and swelling, and has a good auxiliary treatment effect on hypertension and kidney disease.
4. Anti-blood agglutination and anti-cerebral thrombosis Foreign studies have found that a substance called P3 is isolated from the yellow jelly-like juice around tomato seeds, which has the effect of anti-platelet aggregation.
5. Anti-cancer and anti-cancer, delaying aging In recent years, studies have confirmed that the lycopene contained in tomatoes has a unique antioxidant effect, which can eliminate free radicals in the body, prevent the occurrence of cardiovascular diseases, and effectively reduce pancreatic cancer and rectal cancer. , Oral cancer, breast cancer, prevent the progress of prostate cancer. Tomato also contains anti-cancer and anti-aging glutathione, which can remove toxic substances in the body, restore normal functions of the body and organs, and delay aging.
6. Prevents cataracts. The vitamins A and C contained in macular degeneration can prevent cataracts and have a certain preventive effect on night blindness; lycopene has the effect of inhibiting lipid peroxidation, preventing free radical damage and inhibiting macular degeneration. Maintain eyesight.
7. Beauty skin care, cure skin diseases Tomato contains carotene and vitamins A and C, which have the effects of removing freckles, beauty, anti-aging, skin care, etc., and cure fungi and infectious skin diseases. Niacin can maintain the normal secretion of gastric juice, promote the formation of red blood cells, help maintain the elasticity of blood vessel walls and protect the skin. Another study showed that tomato juice also has a certain effect on eliminating body odor.
8. Maintaining sexual functions Lycopene has a unique antioxidant capacity, which can scavenge free radicals, protect cells, prevent DNA and genes from being destroyed, and prevent the process of cancer. After absorption, it gathers in the prostate, adrenal glands, etc., to promote the strong secretion of prostate fluid, which can maintain the ejaculation function; tomatoes are juicy and diuretic, and they are also suitable for patients with nephritis. Women eat more tomatoes to stimulate libido and passion.
In addition to its preventive effects on prostate cancer, tomatoes can also effectively reduce the risk of pancreatic cancer, rectal cancer, laryngeal cancer, oral cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer and other cancers.